Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Republican "Unity Pledge"

I’m here for you. No amount of money, no political party, no special interest group, no corporation will influence me…ever.

The Republican candidates for Governor sent the following pledge around to the candidates asking us to sign. I sincerely don’t think they meant anything bad by it, and I don’t think it’s unusual:

OREGON
REPUBLICAN UNITY PLEDGE

In the spirit of Ronald Reagan’s Eleventh Commandment, I pledge to support the winner of the May 18th Republican Primary for Governor. I will work to keep our Party unified for the November election, so that we can defeat the Democrat nominee and win the Governor’s office.

I understand that we need to work together for the common good and I will encourage my supporters to assist the Republican Nominee on May 19th.

I, _______________________, as a Republican Candidate for Governor in Oregon, do hereby accept the Unity Pledge and agree to adhere to its principles and conduct my campaign accordingly.




I sent the following response in an email to all the candidates:

Dear Fellow Candidates,

I've already made a pledge to my fellow Oregonians to represent only them. This is not only a pledge, but something that's at the core of my being. I cannot in good faith, in this election or any other, pledge to blindly support a candidate simply because they are a Republican.

That being said, if the Republican candidate represents the best interest of Oregonians, I will back him fully.

Thank you for understanding my position on this matter.

Respectfully,


Darren Karr


If you have questions or comments on this, please post them here and I’ll be happy to address them.

1 comment: